I needed to find a lesson plan using the Website Flickr for an assignment. At first, I had difficulty finding a unique lesson plan that caught my attention. Then, I was pleasantly surprised to find a special education lesson plan for students in high school with moderate to severe disabilities. Not only did it catch my attention because I am a special education teacher at heart, but the student target audience for the lesson is my most favorite to work with. I found this lesson at this link:
http://www.wikiteach.org/index.php/wikiteach/action/lessonplan/?WTSESSID=ab19e16469e1dc47d4ee0bccc9ca5a11&/1/iVar/245
This lesson is on the WikiTeach website, so the contents can be changed by any registered user. Each time the page is viewed, it may be a little different. So I recommend copying and pasting the contents in a Word document to save it if you like what you see.
The main topic of the lesson is Edmark Fast Food/ Restaurant sight word recognition. There are many activities described to practice the words on the page. One of the activities has students searching for pictures on Flickr using the sight words as tags, and saving them or printing them out. This requires the students to transfer the sight words from paper into the search box by typing. Identifying the words within picture titles or descriptions while scrolling through the search list provides more practice. The saved and printed pictures can be used at a later date for extra practice and review.
Another activity was designed for a community trip. The teacher gives the students a clipboard with a list of the sight words. The class would then take a trip to the grocery store or a department store and look for those words. When the students find a word, they would take a picture of it. Then, when the students come back to school, the pictures get uploaded into their Flickr account to be used for practice. The students could also take pictures of just the objects and then when the pictures are uploaded into Flickr, the students need to pick the right sight word off the list to tag each photo.
I would definitely use this with students if I had my own classroom. The great thing about this lesson plan is that it can be used for any age level or abilities with little modification. If leaving the school isn't an option, it can also be completed just walking around school grounds using different categories of sight words.
Another beautiful thing about this is it differentiates instruction for the individual student and allows other students to see the world from there class mates eyes:) Great job!
ReplyDelete